Some long-awaited changes are arriving in Ranked play with Apex Legends Season 8 – Mayhem, including matchmaking improvements for lower-ranked players.
Season 8 is set to begin on Feb. 2 and fans are anxiously awaiting what Respawn Entertainment has planned. There’s more content than ever coming with the new installment and that doesn’t even include the patch notes that haven’t been released yet.
Along with a new legend, weapon, and revamped Kings Canyon, Respawn is making some adjustments to Ranked play. Also, the developers announced that a fan-favorite reward is returning for Season 8. Keep reading below to see all of the changes arriving with the new season.
Apex Legends Season 8 Ranked play changes
In the days leading up to Season 8, Respawn has been posting blogs to update fans on what to expect. Today, the blog post surrounded Ranked play and all of the changes that the developers made to improve the experience for players.
However, before the devs dove into the changes, they went over some of the goals they have for Ranked in Season 8. To sum up, a better environment for the divisions in Diamond and above and improved matchmaking quality for all divisions are the key goals. Many players are certainly hoping those goals aren’t just words.
Below, you can see the list of changes Respawn is implementing for Ranked play in Apex Legends Season 8.
- Earn placement RP earlier in a match
- RP rewards begin at placement 13 instead of 10 in a match.
- Kill/Assist count has been raised to 6
- Earn RP for more of your kills and assists in a given match.
- This is a slight nudge to give really good players a slightly faster trip back to their competitive rank, while giving our top tier players more ways to pull ahead of the pack in the Predator ranks.
- Assist Threshold Increased to 10 seconds
- Earn assists for up to 10 seconds (up from 7.5 seconds) after dealing damage to a target that is killed by someone else.
- Predator has been increased to the top 750 players
- Allowing more players to enter predator should improve queue times while remaining an exclusive tier for the highest levels of play.
- Matchmaking Tightening
- Players below Diamond will matchmake much more often within their own Ranks.
Finally, Respawn revealed that Skydive Trails will make a return as the Ranked reward in Season 8. This was followed up by the showcase of the Season 7 rewards.
Season 8 of Ranked play will go live as soon as the Feb. 2 update releases in Apex Legends.
Make sure to keep up with Daily Esports for all Apex Legends news.