Last month, Wizards of the Coast posted a video on the Magic: The Gathering YouTube channel announcing news of an upcoming set: War of the Spark. In the video, found below, we see a tall tower with stained-glass-window depictions of tons of planeswalkers. Today, we got some crazy news from Wizards of the Coast regarding those planeswalkers.
There will be 36 Planeswalkers in War of the Spark
In this news post released today, Wizards of the Coast has informed us that there will be 36 different planeswalkers in War of the Spark. More than that, every single pack will have a planeswalker card included. In the story, War of the Spark will be taking place during the supposed endgame of the main villain Nicol Bolas. It will occur on Ravnica, but the planeswalkers we see in the news article come from a variety of planes. Notable inclusions are:
- Sorin Markov, who we last saw trapped in rock after Nahiri wreaked havoc on Innistrad.
- Gideon, who we see wielding the Blackblade from Dominaria.
- Tibalt, who we haven’t seen in a very long time after his incredibly underwhelming card was printed.
- Narset and Sarkhan are here too, who we haven’t seen in Standard since Khans.
- We also see the planeswalkers from the Global series, Jiang Yanggu and Mu Yanling.
- Huatli who seems to have brought dinosaurs to Ravnica!
In addition to those listed above, there are many, many more. The limited environment for War of the Spark is going to be so insane and full of fun, we can hardly wait! One interesting thing though is that, in order to fit 36 planeswalkers in a set, some are going to have to be below mythic rarity. In fact, it may be possible to see uncommon planeswalkers this set just due to the sheer number that are being added. Whatever the case, this is indeed going to be a massive milestone in both the Magic: The Gathering story and almost every format in the game.